Thursday, December 29, 2011

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." -Vince Lombardi



Well its Thursday, December 29th  and 2011 is almost over and I am happy about it. Not necessarily happy in that sense, meaning not in terms of that emotion, but happy to start a new year. 2011 was a roller coaster of emotions and lessons learned. One of the most powerful lessons was about not trying to be perfect or trying to get everything right. I thought about this b/c I created this workout group for my sorority sisters on facebook and someone posted that they (in short) kinda OD'd on chocolate and they were feeling guilty about it and she said:

"Yall ever have days when you do wrong and you know it before you do it? Most of the regular posters in this group probably don't because you guys are so focused."

What a beautiful teachable moment! A gang of us jumped on the post to say we ALL have those times! The list of people included two of us who have been featured in national fitness magazines (Go Soror Mimi), a Soror who just did a marathon, another soror who has dropped to a size 4, another who just celebrated hitting her weight loss goal, and I added that I started the group and I have those days so we all can relate!

I found this quote and it spoke to me:

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." -Vince Lombardi

No one is perfect, life sure ain't and maybe its just where I am now but damn it life is too short to stress yourself out with trying to be perfect or beating yourself up b/c you are not prefect.

That doesn't mean the answer is to throw in the proverbial towel and not set goals or try to improve on your/my health and fitness goals or any other goals you/I may have but I think for me, I am putting this journey into its proper perspective for a change.

I want to feel better, look better, and treat myself better.

That doesn't reduce down to a number on the scale or a dress size. Nor does it mean I HAVE to workout x amount of days a week.

I will set goals and move towards a more holistic approach to this journey by just treating myself better meaning more sleep, less likka (sniff), more massages, less stress, more planning, less impromptu unhealthy choices.

My cousins came from Jamaica this week and my treadmill was broken well the button you use to lift it up and down came off so its been out of commission for really a year and it was a life save 2 years ago when the weather was so bad I couldn't get out the house to exercise! I would just watch 1 hour of Law & Order and clocked in a workout. So I am going back to basics and will use my treadmill to make sure I will get in at least 30 minutes of exercise more days than not.  

FYI I am very sore from this week's workouts and I will push ahead into the new year! I set one goal so far 37 pounds by my 37th birthday but my trainer asked me about my more immediate goals. So I/we set a 10 pound weight loss goal by Valentine's Day.

Needless to say (since I havent shared it lol) I need to work on my 2012 Vision Board. Its sure been a busy period so I haven't had time to give it the energy it deserves but it was fun to look back at a few! I posted them below! I hope a few of your try to do one of the new year and are willing to share them!






No comments:

Post a Comment