Friday, August 27, 2010
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Yesterday was the afternoon/evening from hell. First my bus came almost an hour late and the issue with the iggnat driver I wont even go itno but it took forever to get to my car where I packed not one but 2 sets of workout clothing but I took my car to Sears because of the flat tire and the brakes have been making noise. Well talk about a longgggg evening... I dropped the car off before work and got a call around 2pm that it was done I asked about the brakes and guess they overlooked that anyway the man checked on it and they are still under warranty and so they said it would be done by 5pm. Cool. Not cool. I get there and as I am walking up I am on the phone with my bff and I see Justice (my car) still on the lift. So I said Lisa let me call you back no sense in you listening to the carnage about to take place. Longggg story short the car was not done until after 8pm!!! I was sooo upset. Needless to say I didn't pay for jack and they threw in a free oil change. Problem I am a stress eater. I went o get dinner the first hour I was held hostage and added a milk shake. They there was a Cinnabon there so I got a mini one. I went back car needed another hour so I went to Unos and had an appletini and ended up ordering a shrimp and lobster dip. By the time the dip came the car was ready. I took it home. Issue here is I did so well alllll day I had a boiled egg and 2 slice turkey bacon for breakfast and 12 slice whole wheat toast Lunch a Veggie soup with Ozio (?) and crackers, Snack Quaker 90 calorie bar and a WW snack bar as well. The plan was to go workout and /or go to Massage Envy. Neither happened!
Talk about frustrated! Then my bf and I had a huge argument over some nonsense and welll I went to bed exhausted mentally and physically last night. I got a late start this morning and well I finally made it to work bus was late because of a 4 car pile up accident on 29. Why can't people just pay attention?!?! A/w PMS is sneaking in here too I am sure but in any case I am ready for the weekend although it involves some AKA event in NJ not really feeling a road trip but it will be a fun event and Sunday a co-worker invited me to do the BWI bike ride trail think I will take her up on that.
Aside from that I sent my story in to the Fit Feds program and I will be featured on their website! Got a few other PR things in the works as well and well stay tuned!! :-)
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
So Friday I picked up my packet and went to the event fair. I am really trying to put myself on a budget so I went there with only one goal in mind to buy some of these energy gummy bear that nice lady gave me after my first ride. i didn't find them but I did find a jelly bean version. One with and one without caffeine. I popped 2 and said let me see how this tastes and makes me feel. I do not drink coffee so caffeine affects me differently that the normal coffee drinker so i don't really use sports gels and the like. Well the Columbia Tri Assoc. was having a mini chat about what to expect and at that point I met a lasy who had not done anything, no bike riding, no running, no open water or any kind of swim. Now I am not one to judge size and fitness because I am often underestimated but I was thinking that wasn't a great idea for her to just jump in like this was a walk in the park. I told her she should at least do a test drive on the ride to get an idea. I ended up meeting these great ladies Pam & Michelle who came up from Va Beach! I told them the same thing about the bike ride and boy were they happy they went on the drive to see the hills I was talking about! Awesome ladies!!
At the reception I met Sarah Reinertsen! Amazing, amazing woman. She is the first female amputee to complete the Iron Man Triathlon!!! If you don't know you betta ask somebody because that makes her a total rock star & bad azz! Its a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and then for the fun of it (lol) you do a marathon yeah 26.2 mile run granted its in Hawaii but still that's madness! She had such an amazing spirit she was featured on the Iron man triathlon video and has done a book and does speaking engagements. Anyway it was an honor and you know I got a picture!!
The evening was great because I also met the VP of Iron Girl Intl program! She is a testament to fitness being about the mind and body. She is not a size 2 or even a size 10 but she also rocked the Iron Man in Hawaii. Do you know how bad azz you have to be to do that?! The thought popped into my head Sunday as I headed to the event but I quickly dismissed that. We'll see what God says later on down the line but for now hell to da' nah on that one! Anyhoo she got an award in honor of Judy Flannery she was an amazing athlete and the cool thing was she didn't even start until she was 38!
So fast forward to Saturday! I headed to the Team in Training Inspirational Luncheon and realized I couldn't find my race packet! I called the hotel to see if by chance I left it there the night before and I was a lil upset because I couldn't get a straight answer I pulled up outside and when in ans sure nuff it was right at the front desk. Ok a little note on customer service. Now if the 3 times I called this hotel that person asked or even tried to looked she could have given me the answer rather than passing me to every phone line in the hotel. I didn't even bother tracking her down because I was just happy it was there and I didn't have to drive home and hope and pray it was there. Sloppy on my part! But anyhoo yall know I love my drama!
After the luncheon which was very nice they had arts & crafts, and candle lighting ceremony, paraffin hand treatments with finger nail painting and a great lunch ohhh and picture takers that made magnets for us all dressed up looking crazy (lol) good times! I wish I had utilized TnT more but I had such a busy year but I did meet another brown girl and lo and behold we are SORORS! Coolness! So even if I made only 1 friend I did good! :-) Anyway after the luncheon my soror & I went to rack our bikes! That made it real lol
A/w I headed to see the boyfriend (who by the way found my blog and objected to being called Mister...so bf is his new name) lol So we hung out for a bit and I left him to his Ravens vs. Deadskins game and as I was driving away I heard *thud-thud-thud* sure nuff a flat tire! Its 7pm the night before the Iron Girl!! Ughhhh wellll Mister I mean bf went and get fix a flat and fixed it so I could make it home. I debated calling Geico and eventually did just to make sure I didn't wake up at 4am with a flat! They came quickly shout out to Guardian Angel in Owing Mills for the help!
Anyway got to bed by 10pm and got up by 4am and headed out by 4:35am when I got to Centennial Park there was a line to get in! I got joked on for being there at 4:45am on the Dress Rehearsal but I see I had the right idea! lol
Anyway I was pumping my soca CD from Carnival and there was a quietness in the park i didn't care quiet doesn't do it for me I need the beats to motivate me! I packed up alllll my stuff and it was a lot of crap extra pants, socks, shoes, water bottles. Ok I had like 3 bags most had 1! lol But Imma AKA so there you have it! :-0
I got set up and Pam & Michelle found me and we chatted and headed over. I went to the TnT tent and chatted to a few folks and a few of us went to go see the elite athletes start. the deal is they send everybody in waves based on age except the elites. Let me saw this on woman finished the .62 mile swim in 17 minutes! Dude they were moving like sail boats they didn't even look human! I was impressed! I was in the dark green swim cap group (glad they got the memo about pink & green!) and let me tell you.... there were a lot of us! I went towards the back of the pack and well I took off. I felt strong and good considering the night before my shoulder started hurting me out of the blue ohhh and I cut my finger because I shaved my underarms because my photo finish had to have me with my arms up! Vanity it'll get you every time. How I didn't bleed I dunno in an effort to move some of the hair off I thought it a good idea to use my index finger.. Comedy!!! Murphy's Law in full effect. Anyhow.
The water was NOT as warm as it was at the dress rehearsal I repeat WAS NOT! But with so many people it helped me not to get as dehydrated I think. Heck I think they put ice in there or something. I stayed hydrated as they told us to the whole weekend and before the swim I chugged down another 5 cups of water because swimming can really take its toll on you. The open water swim configuration was different from the rehearsal in fact it was worst rather than a U like shape it was like a rectangle. It seemed longer and farther away. I walked it the Saturday after I racked my bike. My gawd... A few of us were looking like..WOW...
So I was trying to add more fuel to the fire by taking the jelly beans and it worked I think. I was kicking harder and pushing myself then resting when necessary of whenever someone would kick me of swim into me (lol). The swim was very rough because there were so many people in the water the normally still lake was very choppy. When I came back past the start I checked the time and I was at about 37 minutes that was great to me! I still had a ways to go but a few bouys later the shore was in sight and I gunned it. I did about 47 minutes and I wasn't mad about it I was hoping for 50 minutes!
I came out of the water and there were volunteers there to help and that was good they warned us not to stand right up because when you swim all the blood is in your stomach because you were flat and if you stand to quickly you can face plant so I took my time. I got over...ohhh and let me say this it was raining like hard like I had to stop swimming to figure out if rocks were hitting me on my head only to see it was rain! Ughhh that made my biking attire a serious issue. I brought 2 items one was a cotton cargo pant and the other was like jersey material I went with the jersey material because of my experience last week with the soaking wet pants. It was a good choice. I got on the road and the first few miles were different because I was use to leaving from Princeton Sports and not the park so it was unfamiliar but at the around mile 3 it was the same place. I got into my stride and made up in my mind that I wasn't taking any of the major hills gotta walk them and gun the rest. That worked and I got the ride in like 2:44 hours. I been doing more like 3 hours so again improvement!
The bike ride didn't get any better is all i can say. I kept doing it to teach my bosy to accept it but that didn't work. It was still hard. On the upside there were a lot of volunteers and spectators along the route cheering us on and giving us much needed encouragement! I will do that next year for sure! The turn around was a middle school and members of the army were there to hand out water and Ironman juice (some bizzaro Gatorade?) and they were cuteeeeee!! So on the way back I kept telling other riders the schools was just up around the way and the army guys were cuteeeee everyone got a laugh out of it.
Ok the amazing thing was when I was leaving chicks were on their way back to the park. They looked spent I cheered them on though and told them they looked strong and hell they did! Anyone from Team and Training made an extra effort to say "Go team" I said a lot of thank yous and finally as I was heading back I got it in my mind that wow I am really doing this! How crazy am I! I didn't have the feeling of my half marathon here at mile 9 I got an attitude and said WHY AM I DOING THIS lol I was more...impress with myself. And I felt good like I was at like 11 or so and thinking there is NO doubt I'll be able to do the walk/jog...No doubt! That was cool! The rain came along but after last week's monsoon the drizzle was refreshing. I was concerned about the slick roads and the annoying cars and I mean really citizen of Columbia, Maryland Iron Girl is a Sunday morning once a year can't yall stay home till noon?!?! Seriously think about it or at the very least don't pull up on a bikers bumper!! The drivers were annoying and rude!!!
A/w I saw the park in my sights and the cars were really buzzing and I made the left had turn into the park. The crowds were going CRAZY!! Random people were yelling "You go girl" "You are awesome!!" " You look great!!!" I was a lil misty eyed at that point because well I like an audience! lol I mean I do speaking engagements and do various lawyerly smart things but intellect is one thing I mean I have a 185 IQ I got brains but to be admired for my physical endurance? That was different and special. I saw my Sorors' Mom and she cheered for me I told her she wasn't too far behidn because I passed her on my way back and I go off and headed down the hill took off my helmet and put on a new bandanna and headed towards the run. At this point a good majority of people were done I saw women with their medals and people just walking around the park all in the way but when they realized I was still participating they were respectful and moved!
So I dug up my old school 2006 Ipod! I used it in the 07 Half Marathon and I said I'll need this for the 5.5k! And boy did I! Let me give an old school Video Music Box Shout Out to TI for the song 'Bring Em Out!' I kept that playing over and over! TI I love you man! Lawd I can say it I love l've hip hop! I am sorry I know it has its issues but you want to get your workout on and your spirits up?! Ok gotta shout out Beyonce too...lol.. yall know she married the man that should have been my husband but she has some great songs too!
Music-there's no better drug! A/w I was still popping my jelly beans and they helped. The 3.4 miles is nice stretch there are a few hills so it is challenging especially after swimming over half a mile then biking a hellish hilly 17.5 miles but it was doable! I saw the finish line and could hear the announce "calling home" the Iron Girls "Becky Sue You ARE an Iron Girl" I kept repeating that in my mind well inserting my name of course! :-)
As I came around the final stretch I saw another lady and we finished strong. A few team in Training people were still there to cheer and the announcer joked me because I took out my ipod earphones so I could hear him and I said well i wanna hear this. I still think he messed it up... *eye roll* but it didn't matter
I AM AN IRON GIRL!!!
The professional photographer was there and I made him take a few shots lol at a point he laughed lol I heard my fellow Junior Leaguer & sister Greek friend call my name so she was there to pat me on the back! That was nice!!!! I appreciated her coming and helping me get my bike back to my car lol! A few others wanted to but didn't make it and it was okay I was funky anyway lol I heard the announcer calling my Soror's name and I waited for her and cheered her on as she made it over the finish line the photographer came back so guess what PINKIES UP! Can't wit to see the pictures!!! I am buying all of them!
Well well see I am chunkier than I wanted to be :-( but I am getting it together I packed my guy clothing and I am headed to the gym after work. Iron Girl pumped me up! I need to lose 50 pounds by next May. 30 I want off by Christmas! So its on!
Thanks for taking this journey with me!!! I will post pictures in a different entry because this blogger is annoying about placement! Stay tuned! Again thank you!
Iron Girl Cylia!
Saturday, August 21, 2010
I did email a few folks but here are the details. My swim wave beings at 7:15am I get 1 hour so I'll come out around 8ish if you want to come early. Otherwise we get 4.5 hours I should be done around 11:30-11:45am only participants can come into the lot so a free shuttle is being provided for every from the Sheraton Hotel located at 10207 Wincopin Circle. It directly across from the mall and behind Copeland's restaurant. off of Little Pauxtent Parkway/175
Friday, August 20, 2010
1) The summer FLEW by! If I had it to do over again I would have started to train sooner even if it was just joining TnT for swimming on Sunday evenings. But gone bad already as Jamaican's would say! I have received a lot of emails about doing something with Team in Training. I would highly recommend them. I was too busy to take full advantage of the program but they always kept me in the loop and sent emails and hey its for a great cause! So Advice #1- if you want to do a marathon, half marathon, tri, century bike ride etc check them out TEAM IN TRAINING WEBSITE
2) I am excited!!! I spoke with my Linesister/Soror Jacintha and I feel good about her health she got a fully clean bill of health from her Doc this week and I am sooooooo happy about that! As Puffy would say "Take that, take that!" Praise God (I know quoting Puffy then praising the Lord might not be right but that's how I do!) lol Cancer isn't a game but it feels good to say she is cancer free the week of my Iron Girl. Love that! Advice #2- To plug TnT again it made and is making doing this event worth while. I was happy to call her and tell her I exceeded my goal and people were really supportive of the fundraising efforts because of her.
3) I've been reviewing the results for the past 4 years of the Iron Girl. They give you 4.5 hours to finish the event. I am righttt up on that line. There are names with no times beside them so either they never finished or they didn't make the time I am guessing they dropped out though...b/c there are longer times (pass 4.5 hours) so I am guessing they didn't finish! Advice #3- Finish what you start! Now the Iron Man is gansta they will come get you off the course if you do not meet the time requirements so I am glad I don't have that pressure. But whatever time I make I plan to cross the finish line. I'll be honest I haven't done a brick (ie. where you do 2 or more events ie. swim then run or bike-to build up your endurance) all I got is my mind & the way my parent's raised me. Like my friend Tovia always says "Your parents did a good job with you." *insert head shaking here* Now as I have said before she says it in such a way that it implies they may have done a lil too good with the self esteem part lol BUTTTTTT that "I can do anything, you can do better" attitude has served me well and will do the same this weekend. I am just proud I am stepping up to the plate to be honest I know people 100 pounds less than me that wouldn't dare try a triathlon so bragging rights are mine skinny heffas!!! Take that, take that! Puffy forever! Ok, ok, ok
4) My goal is 4 hours 15 minutes needless to say if I get in at 4 hours: 30 minutes: 59 seconds I'll take it lol I WANT MY MEDAL and I am trying to figure out if they won't give it to me if I am longer than 4.5 hours !!! Do they know I will flip?! LOL I will cut up and act a fool after my nap and full body massage and after I eat of course! Advice #4- Post race pampering a must!
5) Vision Board time. I need to think of some new fitness goals. I am thinking of doing a Mediterranean Cruise in May with my Mom & Sister and I want to be TIGHT & RIGHT so I can buy some amazing clothing is Italy! The trip will be to Barcelona, Spain then Rome, Pisa, Florence (Italy),& Cannes, France can we say AMAZING!? CAN'T WAIT! I texted my sister who incidentally is in my fave city in the world Amsterdam (at the moment) that I want to lose 50 pounds by May. She has the same goal so oh yeah she is coming to live with me for a few months *inhale exhale* so I'll have a workout buddy to do the damn thang with! Advice #5- Workout buddies can be good... I've had a few but I work well with "Bobbie Christina" she's good! She was thinking about doing the Iron Girl this year but went to Europe for a month instead. Hard sell...But she said next year she's on it! We have a trip to Sedona in Jan so we'll be hiking again can't wait that experience in 2009 was not pleasant I was carrying almost 70 plus pounds on me and it just wanst not funny! (Shout out to the old school MTV Real World fans!) Ha!
Ok well 2 days to go before Iron girl and see how my mind works already onto the next big adventure!
But that's how I do! See ya at the finish line! THANKS FOR ALL THE LOVE & SUPPORT!!!!! I pick up my race packet tonight and TnT has a luncehon tomorrow so pics to follow!
IRON GIRL (SOON TO BE) OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! :-)
Monday, August 16, 2010
Friday, August 13, 2010
Today is THE day! Eat Pray Love -The Movie!!! In my usual style I planned a girls night out to see it. This time with my old Lynne Bricks Gym workout peeps! We used to go HARD! I mean the spirit of that place at that time was awesome. Like one day the power went out in the middle of Joanne's Body Step class and we kept going lol literally they had to come into the class and tell us it was unsafe to have us working out in the dark! LOL Who needs lights, who needs music!? LOL good timeS, good times! Looking soooo forward to seeing them again!!!
Ok Eat Pray Love (the book) if for some reason like me you were unaware of this book when it came out pleaseee go get it! It is amazing!!! I mean she is a great writer but not in the traditional sense more so in the down to Earth this sounds like a conversation I had with my BFF sense! A lot of travelling, loving, praying, learning, and growing! You literally laugh, cry, smile & sigh all at the same time! Its wonderful! I think Julia Roberts was the BEST woman on Earth to play the lead and I can't wait to see it come alive tonight!
I really loved the book from a 'that's why she's skinny' point of view because it demonstrated that most people who over eat and don't exercise will gain weight! lol She had a fab time in Italy and between all the pizza and pasta she wasn't fitting into some of her clothing so she got a bike and got back into her yoga in India and fell in love in Bali! But who can't fall in love in Bali!?! Ahhhh Alls well that ends well! :-)
Anyhoo no workout this week not sure what the scale will say tomorrow a Weight Watchers. I want-scratch that--I will go and walk the Iron Girl course I plan to ask Mister to come with! Then we can come back home to the gym Socaerobics was great and then we can chill and then Mister & I are going to my good friend's home for dinner and that should be nice! Looking forward to it. I like doing couple things its nice. I am not gonna lie and say I miss dating because I don't! I like the stability of a relationship! I like that we are on the same page with most things, I like his personality and sense of humor, I like how he makes me feel and life is good! We are planning a trip to Myrtle Beach, SC in the fall and I want it to be more active than laid back so I am looking into things to do besides eat and sleep on the beach! I am excited this will be our first "trip" :-) How cute! A/w I found miniature golf and lots of walking (in order to shop)!! Sounds like a plan to me! :-) If you know of anything else active to do let a sista know!
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
I stopped drinking *gulp* likka in an effort to keep my body on top to train for the Iron Girl which incidentally is less that 2 weeks away. Funny. As I chill. I need new sneakers or at least new insoles gotta get on that. *note to self* Anyway point was no extra liquor/liquid calories to derail me.
I am just yapping away because what I really want to do is go downstairs at work and get some cookies or some butter popcorn or some chips or some...well you get the point. Tricks of the trade was supposed to be the title of this post so here we go:
- Fast Food portions---When I want fast food, which is often, I buy the kiddie meal. Yes it costs less and has less calories! So for example this week I wanted Chick-fli-a and I got the 2 strip kiddie meal with low fat chocolate milk which in all honesty is more than enough. That's why kids are fat because the strips are the same as the adult size. Anyway let me stop calling people's kids fat... Ok that is why obesity is on the rise b/c children eat too much...just like their parents.... ok back to the Verizon thing so I love fat/weight loss shows although I now hate the Biggest Loser (totally unrealistic and btw I watched the Iron Man this weekend and Matt from Biggest Loser was on there! HUGE!!! He didn't make it though.. Talk about rebound!!!) but things like Ruby & this new joint Too Fat for Fifteen. OMG OMG OMG I can't get enough even upped my cable bill to get the Style network... my point this young lady from Suitland Md came in at 510 pounds OMG parents WTH?!? I can't tell that lie my parents did try to help me as a child but really what happens why you can't stop a child from being 500 pounds as a teenager!? Another kid's parents said they couldn't lock the cabinets? Why the heck not? I guess its easier said than done as a non-parent but I know I got sent to boarding school and came back skinny lol I think now that may have been part of the plan! lol my parents know I don't eat Jamaican food! Ok ok all over the place I know... Point... I don't deprive myself of fast food I just opt for the smaller portion ie., the kiddie portion.
-Snack- I don't buy a lot of snacks. This is an issue with Mister because I swear he doesn't eat real food all I see are pretzels, teddy grahams, and granola bars. That's a problem for me. Aside from a few Weight Watcher snacks I dont have them in my home because I will sit and eat 10 of them without batting an eye. My latest snack craze is the Utz white cheddar popcorn. I eat the whole bag 12 points. I get 28-29 POUINTS A DAY MIND YOU and I feel no kinda way about it. That's how I do. After going hard on his snacks he said he would hide them to help me out. I said ok but don't put them in obvious places because my sister does this all the time! Be creative! He left his house the first closet I went into had all the snacks!! He didn't even mix it up put a few in the hallway, some under the bed, and others behind the toaster. My sister got skills. She knows snacks are my crack! And she doesn't give them up! I don't find a 100 calorie pack unless I tear the house up! Granted she is selfish and greedy but that helps me. Well he came back and just gave up put the snacks back on top of the refrigerator. *SMH* I'll have Bobbie Christina show him how its done when she gets back!
Anyhow...I aint been feeling the gym. Imma go Saturday morning and save my Iron Girl bike ride for Sunday morning. And just try and get something else in this week swimming or the treadmill anything. I already know this isn't the way to make that happen need to set my goals and put them in my blackberry but again just not feeling it.
Its Wednesday and the day is young :-) maybe Massage Envy is calling...
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Friday, August 6, 2010
This place in Reading Terminal Market has the most beautiful flowers I was taken aback so he asked it I wanted some with one eye brown raised and I shook my head like a kid in Toys R Us!