Friday, October 23, 2009

Challenges


Well I see challenges ahead so since by nature, I am problem solver I went right to work.


By the way this is the challenge (& not a problem) :-)


I am too busy for my own good! But I am busy doing things I truly enjoy for example I enjoy being an ACTIVE member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and I enjoy being an ACTIVE member of The Junior League of Baltimore. I am getting active with my Alma mater the University of Baltimore School of Law as well as the University of Maryland Alumni Association. Then there's the Monumental City Bar Association and yup I am getting involved with them as well working on reestablishing a mentoring program with the law school and I am getting back into church and there are my friends and family members I have relationships with and well you get the idea.

The whole idea behind this blog is to help navigate the busy lifestyles we tend to have in order to make fitness a priority.

This Saturday my workout routine will be interrupted yet again because I am a busy woman. I have missed a few Saturdays over the last 2 months and the trend has been that I would not make up that session. For the most part the 2 days I do personal training are 2 consistent workout days for me. They are great because I KNOW that I KNOW if all else fails I will get 2 good workouts in on those days.

But on a weekend like this or like so many others, I need a way to avoid missing my steady workouts! This week I said I have to stop that so I asked my trainer to meet tonight (Friday) instead of tomorrow since I have an all day AKA Conference on Saturday. When I say all day I mean 7:30am to 4:30pm and its at a hotel over 30 miles away. I am on a Regional Committee so I need to be there early to prepare for our presentation as well. Now Fridays are typically date night but I am on a self imposed hiatus; that's for another blog at another time lol so tonight's my session instead of tomorrow. Fridays tend to be days I either hit the town or crash so I am tired on Friday evenings but I am not "claiming" that this time. I will be well rested and ready for a good workout tonight!
Ok challenge #2 is my allllllllllllllllll day conference! How will I get a 30 minute minimum workout in tomorrow? Remember that will be Day 6 of 30 days of the Every Damn Day- Just Do It Challenge! I was emailing one of my Sorors who is also working out and losing weight, she offered to do a 15 minute walk during lunch with me. So that's 15 minutes taken care of. Then I realized we are going to a hotel and I checked on line and they have a gym! She nixed that idea and let me know she is not getting sweaty lol so we will see what I do but I will bring my Brooks and do something for 30 minutes during the conference tomorrow. I could always wake up early and do the treadmill before I go as well.

The lesson is I (you) have options! Every day I (you) can get it in! I already know Saturday will be a long day and we are going out to dinner afterwards so the likelihood of working out when I get home is remote. To avoid missing day 6 I am planning in advance or as I once heard someone say "I am planning on purpose" to get my 30 minutes of activity in over the next 30 days! Here is an article on the benefits of exercising 30 minutes a day! Join me!
Exercise 30 Minutes a Day? Who Knew!
Most Americans aren't aware of national recommendations, study finds
Posted September 29, 2009

TUESDAY, Sept. 29 (HealthDay News) -- Despite 14 years of public education campaigns, only one-third of Americans know about national recommendations for a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise a day, and fewer than half meet that goal, a new study has found.
The lack of awareness is greatest among men, the unemployed and people born in the United States, the researchers said. Their finding came from an analysis of data from 2,381 people who took part in the 2005 Health Information National Trends Survey.
One reason why efforts to spread the message about physical activity are having limited success is the "highly generalized, saturating effect of media in the current environment," the authors wrote. "Through varied sources, many are bombarded with multiple physical activity and general health promotion 'recommendations' that may be challenging to differentiate."
A report on the study is in the October issue of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
Since 1995, the U.S. government and national organizations have used radio, TV, print publications and the Internet to make Americans aware they should be doing at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity each day.
If more people followed the recommendations, it could help reduce rates of chronic health problems, said the study's lead author, Gary Bennett, an associate professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University.
"Physical activity is important for protecting against a large number of chronic diseases, including cardiovascular disease, some cancer, diabetes, even some cognitive disorders," Bennett said in a Duke news release. "So the physical activity recommendations are extremely important to help increase awareness among the American population about the amount of physical activity that is necessary to reduce the risk of developing these diseases," he added.
"We've seen a lot of discussion about prevention in health-care reform debates over the last few months, and it's becoming clear that increasing physical activity among Americans may, in the long run, reduce some of the major costs that burden our health-care system," Bennett said.
More information
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more about physical activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment