Tuesday, January 19, 2010

For the good of the Republic


I am a Poli Sci major and I love history. I was debating about going to workout the other day and the phrase "For the good of the Republic" popped into mind and I got myself to the gym. Plato wrote a famous book of sorts entitled The Republic... In Plato's Republic, Socrates leads a discussion with his fellow philosophers attempting to isolate the concept of justice in the soul. In order to accomplish this task, they hypothesize that justice can occur both in the city as well as and the soul.
Because the philosophers are more familiar with the workings of a city than the soul, they try to find justice by creating the ideal city. Another big concept is the book is the division of labor because if done right it makes the city the most efficient, or ideal. For example, if you are a mason stick to that, you can cook do what you do, you use your talents wisely don't go trying to be a doctor stick with what works for you and what is for the good of the Republic.

In my quest to create the "ideal city" I need to do some things and one of them is exercise regularly and consistently; that's my job in this deal to make my city efficient. Thus far we are good to go. I am back to 2-3 classes last week plus my 2 personal training sessions. Its for the good of the Republic... I am still busy and seemingly even busier at work but I am striving for that balance.

I took tonight off I am sore from yesterday and I am feeling tired as my sleep has been off lately. I will hit Zumba tomorrow again and Chizel It in Thursday and Socarobics!

No comments:

Post a Comment